[ih] Internet History - from Community to Big Tech?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Mar 28 06:13:14 PDT 2019

On 3/27/19 10:16 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:

> TCP of course offered standardization -- but within its own walled
> garden, competing with OSI, DecNet, SNA, Vines, XNS, Netware, etc.
> TCP's walled garden won the battle and all the others died out.
>
> I wonder if that is where the boundary starts between interoperability
> and walled gardens - i.e., where people take advantage of the "lower"
> uniformity brought by some standard (whether in spec or in code), but
> fail to coordinate standardization at the level "above" them, where they
> present their services to the next guy up.  By maintaining uniqueness,
> they hope their walled garden will be the one to thrive.
>
> The history of all those walled gardens and boundaries seems like an
> important part of Internet History.

Interesting point.  I've always thought of walled gardens from the top
down; with email being the clearest example.  First we had lots of email
systems that didn't talk to each other - predating the ARPANET (e.g.,
mail on an individual time sharing system).  In the early days, we had
vendor specific email, running within enterprises.  ARPANET bridged
those - but only for a limited community.  Meanwhile, folks like AOL &
Compuserve competed on how many people could be reached on their
platform (not unlike the early telephone days - when a business had to
have a dozen phones on their desk, from a dozen telcos, to allow all
their customers to reach them).  And then, a little bit before the
Internet fully opened to the public, we started to see email connections
(e.g., Compuserve exchanged email with the Internet).

Now, email is starting to go the other way; what with various "secure"
email systems promulgated by health care organizations, banks, and what not.

Calendars are the one that really bug me, though.  We have interoperable
specs, they actually kind of worked - until Google stopped supporting
them (funny how Microsoft Outlook DOES support them).  It makes
scheduling a meeting a royal pain.

Looking at things from the bottom up provides an interesting alternative
view.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown