[ih] Internet History - from Community to Big Tech?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Mar 27 14:46:45 PDT 2019

I think that the change started the day the Internet opened to the
public (1992) and folks looked to the Internet as a commercial
opportunity, and secondarily as a service delivery opportunity (e.g.,
for Government agencies).

By and large, my sense is that three things have happened in parallel:

1. A lot of the traditional Internet remains, and continues to be used
as built - business email (including academic, non-profit, government),
academic uses (epublishing, web sites, library access, etc.), lots and
lots of email lists, a vehicle for collaboration (e.g., open source
projects).  About the only thing that's gone out of style is USENET -
which has largely been supplanted by things like Facebook.  IRC seems to
remain, but lots of traffic has moved to other things like Slack.

2. Spam, and mass media!  Not unlike our postal mail, and telephones,
lots and lots of crap has been added to the mix - raising the noise
level, and requiring our attention just to sort it out and throw it away.

3. New services introduced commercially.  This is the area I worry about
the most - all these new services that have proprietary interfaces,
recreating a world of walled gardens. That kind of gets in the way of
the Internet as a common vehicle for "the community."  We're all getting
sliced and diced.  Not a good thing for large scale collaboration.

Miles Fidelman