[ih] Internet History - from Community to Big Tech?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Mar 27 14:15:21 PDT 2019

There was perhaps another stage, one that ran in parallel to the others.

I am thinking of things like the Air Force ULANA (Unified Local Area
Network Architecture) effort during the mid-to-late 1980's as well as
the Interop trade show network (which existed separate from the vendor
stuff at the shows) that had its heyday from about 1987 through the
early 2000's (it's still going on, but it's not what it once was.)

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/4794963

> https://books.google.com/books?id=4hwEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=ULANA+air+force&source=bl&ots=L26lgcBVRj&sig=ACfU3U1yxuJrO5uyVc9hKSkxn0hQkdJnYQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPwo6tmaPhAhXFsJ4KHcxwCF8Q6AEwBXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=ULANA%20air%20force&f=false

By-the-way, I worked with the TRW ULANA team (btw, we won, but the award
was protested.)

ULANA was, at the time, a huge effort to bring commercial off the shelf
(COTS) material into a cohesive and interoperable set of parts that
could largely be simply purchased and plugged together (user
configuration required, of course.)  It covered everything from wiring
to routers to desktop machines to workstations to large mainframes.
It's scope was both local and long-haul.  In other words, everything.

That project put energy into things like the John Romkey's "Packet
Driver" idea for a universal way to add device drivers to PC-DoS
machines.  John wrote the first packet driver - I think it was for a
3COM NIC. I did the second for the TRW ethernet card (based on Intel's
then very flakey NIC chips) we did for the project. And Russ Nelson took
it further with his Crynwr packet driver collection.  (Russ deserves a
pair of Internet angel wings for his packet driver work.)  The result
was that all of the TCP stack venders for PC's - FTP Software, Beame and
Whiteside, WRQ, NRC, Netmanage, etc were freed from the burden of
writing device driver code.  That significantly enhanced the spread of
TCP/IP based PCs in the years before Microsoft squished everything when
they came out with the built-in stack - but even they used the notion of
a plug in driver (which they called NDIS).

And ULANA was one of the early customers for companies that were then in
the literal garage stage, like Cisco.

ULANA also built a fire under the notion that networks needed to be
monitored and managed - that was the era of ideas like HEMS, CMOT, and
SNMP.  (It was also the era of OSI - which ULANA largely rejected in
favor of TCP/IP based networking.)

Overall, the ULANA project forced a lot of attention onto the notion of
TCP/IP interoperability.  That notion later was picked up by the first
decade of Interop trade show networks (and many of us from the ULANA
project were involved in the design and deployment of the yearly and
then bi-yearly Interop net.)

(I would also suggest that the metronome effect of the Interop trade
shows created an intense pressure on vendors to improve products and pay
serious attention to compatibility with other vendors.)

	--karl--