[ih] Hello to the list, plus some comments

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Mar 10 16:20:57 PDT 2019

Hello - I had not heard about the existence of this list until recently.

So I'll begin with some background:

I was a student at UCLA from 1967.  I had a student job with the folks
who were doing automobile traffic studies (tracking how cars existed
freeways, crashing cars, etc).  I learned programming on the IBM 7094 -
which was in the room right next to the Sigma Seven where IMP #1 lived.

I was part of the UCLA Computer Club.  We were a troublesome group
(don't ask what we did to a non-responsive ice cream machine in the
hallway outside of the computer club office.)  And one thing that folks
like Mark Kampe and others did was to drop things off the top of Boelter
Hall to see what would happen.  We dropped things like super balls (at
room temperature and also frozen in liquid nitrogen), an empty lead
radiation container, etc.  IMP #1 was just so very attractive in that
regard - it looked like an armored refrigerator with a hook on the top,
so we just were so very tempted to see how rugged it was.  Good thing we
did not give into that temptation.

I began my actual non-academic work on some projects dealing with
satellites and other stuff - go see the movie War Games or Dr.
Strangelove.  We built that stuff for real.  One of my lesser moments
was when I instructed the operators of a 60 meter dish in the middle of
Australia to point the thing directly towards the ground.  But I did
gain a lot of real-life experience about the issues of receiving and
handling a relentless stream of network data (from satellites.)

Anyway, later on - around 1971 I began working in the network and
operating system research group at System Development Corporation (SDC)
in Santa Monica.  I worked with Dave Kaufman and, later, Frank Heinrich
(who came from Dave Farber's DCS, Distributed Computer System, project
at UC Irvine.)  By-the-way, I am of the opinion that DCS deserves a far
more prominent place in the history of the internet, or perhaps in the
history of cloud computing, than it has received.

(It was during my time at SDC that I got the chance to do a small amount
of work with Donald Davies - we were all working in a research site
located on the top floors of the Stoke Poges golf club - for those of
you who don't know, that was the venue where Goldfinger and James Bond
played a round of golf and Odd Job used his hat to slice the head off of
a marble statue.)

Since then I've worked on lots of stuff ranging from Unix/Linux kernels
to early email (pre-sendmail), ATM (banking) networks, protocols (most
particularly SNMP and some "I wish we had done better" work on
netbios-over-TCP, RFC 1001/1002 - yes, I sort of deserved it when Paul
Mokapetris glowered at me (from the top of a table) and declared that I
had destroyed DNS. ;-)  I've also done work with network video (a period
in which Steve Casner taught me how much I didn't know) and IP
multicast.  I've also spent a great deal of time doing interoperability
testing - both at the Interop shows (I was part of the design team from
nearly the start) and at the old TCP/IP bakeoff events.

But my largest interest is in the question of repair of the net. My
grandfather was a radio repairman, my father had a shop that repaired
TV's that other guys couldn't repair.  So fixing things is kinda
genetic.  Back in the early 1990's I formed a company to build the first
internet buttset - a tool for people on cold floors in wiring closets or
up on poles in the rain who needed to get busy diagnosing and repairing
within a few seconds.  That tool was quite impressive, well received,
and very useful but I did not then know how to run a company and that
tool, and the product vanished (pieces remain in products from companies
such as Fluke.)  One thing that I have observed about the development of
the internet, as compared to how old Ma Bell's approached the telephone
network, is the lack of formal and mandated test and loopback hooks in
internet protocols.

However, I have remained intrigued by the notion of homeostatic
networking - how the internet can be made not just more readily
diagnosed and repaired but also more self healing.  The internet is
being perceived as something approaching a lifeline grade utility and
it's been my feeling that this ought to drive a change in the way we
engineer the net.  But that's a huge topic for another time but to plant
a hook, I'll just suggest that perhaps we can learn a lot of network
tricks by looking at how plants and animals enhance their ability to
survive change.

One set of tools that I've produced is Jon Postel's notion of a flakeway
- in his view a router that intentionally did things wrong.  I've
extended that notion to have tools for developers (I emphasize that
these tools are to help developers build more robust code, not to
develop attacks) that can statefully (or not) do things ranging from
dropping/duplicating packets to coercing a TCP intial three way exchange
into a four packet exchange (by splitting the typically merged middle
SYN+FIN packet) or adding/removing options ... and beyond.

You all know about my ICANN adventures, to avoid going into the weeds,
let's not talk about that at the moment.  ;-)

Of late I have been bemoaning the slow erosion of the end-to-end
principle.  I wrote a large (26 page) blog entry about how I see the
present-era internet evolving into something reminiscent of the
political landscape of 15th century Europe, an internet composed of
isolated islands that are connected by highly protected bridges.
https://www.cavebear.com/cavebear-blog/internet_quo_vadis/

Oh yeah, I'm also an attorney, recipient of the Norbert Wiener Award for
Social and Professional Responsibility, was named a fellow of law and
technology at Caltech and Loyola Law (Los Angeles), and was understudy
crocodile in a production of Peter Pan.

Now some comments:

One of our first projects at SDC (circa 1972) was for the US Joint
Chiefs of Staff - a group with a decidedly military point of view -
regarding the surviveability of packet switching networks, most
particularly networks derived from ARPAnet ideas.  It was very
explicitly part of our project to wonder about the impact of nuclear war
- we quite openly spoke of the impact of "gateways" (routers) and links
being vaporized.

However, our work was done under a layer of US and UK secrecy - it was
often classified or, if not, it was considered sensitive information.
As a consequence few people ever heard of our work. (Although eventually
our work created the first protected VPNs, first working operating
systems written to and formally validated against formal models of
security, capability based operating systems, key distribution systems,
etc.)

By-the-way, my wife and I, having no experience in making videos or
sound recordings, much less in documentary film making, but both of us
with a bit of background in theatre, set forth a few years back to
gather interviews about the internet from about 1965 through 1995 and
create a series of short (5 minute) videos about the creation of the
internet.  (We plan about 200 episodes.) We've only released a very few
- and our lack of skill shows through, but we are improving.  For
various reasons we had to lay the project aside a few years back, but we
intend to resume with our interviewing.  (A typical interview runs for a
couple of hours.)  You can see our series trailer at
https://history-of-the-internet.org/videos/trailer/

         --karl--