[ih] Hourglass model question

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jul 3 10:20:59 PDT 2019

On 7/3/19 6:54 AM, Andrew Russell wrote:

> 2) when/where did the TCP/IP community borrow it from the OSI
> community?  (I’m assuming this is how it happened, would be very
> interested in evidence or recollections to the contrary)

My recollection from many meetings in the early 80s of the ICCB/IAB, TCP
Working Group, Internet Working Group, et al is that the TCP/IP
community did *not* borrow the OSI model at all.  Or at least not in the
early days of the Internet through 1983 or so, I'm not sure what
happened later.

There were people who liked having a model, and the organizational
aspects of all the layers - kind of like a Unified Theory of
Networking.  They wrote lots of papers about it.  However, the
discussions I recall were pretty much all about how the TCP/IP
technology we were building, in the real world of computer code and
packet headers, didn't fit at all into the layering of the paper
world.   Still doesn't, AFAIK.

/Jack Haverty