[ih] New journal article on IMPs, modems and gateways

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Jan 24 18:54:37 PST 2019

AT&T was not approached to take over the ARPANET as far as I know - they
were invited to participate in it and declined.
Around 1972 Paul Baran and I did a study for ARPA about distributing its
IMP assets to various parties rather than making
it monolithic. ARPA declined that idea. Eventually it was handed to DCA in
1975 to operate as a service.

Bell Labs was interested in its own Bell Data Network design but not
interested in taking over ARPANET.

New postal address:
Google
1875 Explorer Street, 10th Floor