[ih] Internet History Lives on the Internet?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Feb 25 08:55:11 PST 2019

Jack,

There have been attempts at this, before - Oceanstore and Publius come
to mind.  The problem is that people come and go, and the Federations
disappear.  There's also a scaling problem.

My take is that, at some point, things have to become institutionalized,
and maybe money has to change hands.

Miles

On 2/24/19 9:33 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:

> True, but I think a first step is a persistent crowd-sourced public
> store, which is what I described.    Perhaps "restricted" material
> could be simply stored encrypted, and thus visible in search engines
> and accessible only to people with the appropriate key, or maybe
> "permission" credentials.  Volunteers might be reluctant to
> participate if that became too common.
>
> There's also other considerations, e.g., tracking the provenance of an
> item, so you can tell whether or not something is authentic, where it
> came from, when it was created, etc. Probably many more such things to
> ponder.
>
> IMHO those kinds of capabilities could be add-ons to a persistent
> store as meta-data mechanisms, possibly many of them all independent,
> associating their metadata with items in the warehouse by some kind of
> unique ID - perhaps just a large-enough hash of each of the
> contents.   They could be added as someone gets interested in doing so.
>
> Anybody could build a metadata mechanism "on top of" the persistent
> store.   Some might be built by volunteers and free, others by
> corporations and for sale.  This is almost what the Web is, except
> that the Web store isn't persistent - things on the Web disappear
> without warning.   Someone might put a web site "in front of" the
> persistent store and use today's web tools pretty much as is to access
> materials stored there.
>
> /Jack
>
> On 2/24/19 4:07 PM, Vint Cerf wrote:
>> not all data that we might want to preserve needs to be publicly
>> accessible.

>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 6:23 PM Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org
>> <mailto:jack at 3kitty.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     I don't know much about SOLID, but it appears to be addressing
>>     the problem of handling individuals' personal private data, and
>>     controlling who can access it.   What I described was somewhat of
>>     the inverse - making data public, survivable, and accessible to
>>     everyone.  But maybe there's overlap in any implementation.
>>     Certainly there are lots of pieces already in place somewhere, as
>>     evidenced by the success of viruses, pirated videos, and the like.
>>
>>     The Internet has made possible new sorts of social mechanisms.
>>     What I'm imagining is more like applying Internet-style
>>     "crowd-funding" to the problem of a historical archive, where
>>     people contribute cycles and bytes rather than euros and dollars.
>>
>>     That wasn't possible pre-Internet, but it is now. Thinking
>>     "outside the box" is a lot easier.  The Internet made the box
>>     much bigger....
>>
>>     /Jack
>>

>>     On 2/24/19 2:45 PM, Vint Cerf wrote:
>>>     isn't that what SOLID is supposed to do?

>>>     On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 1:47 PM Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org
>>>     <mailto:jack at 3kitty.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         [Changed the subject line]
>>>
>>>         I read the recent messages on the forum just before going to
>>>         sleep, and
>>>         then I had a dream....literally.

> [...]

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra