[ih] re-reinventing the wheel, was not really Internet History Lives on the Internet?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Feb 24 20:25:58 PST 2019

In article <82F43B4C-7179-46F8-965E-87A3E31BBC57 at bennett.com> you write:
>The botnet idea makes me wonder what happens when a bad actor decides to hijack the network for his or her own purposes.
>Presumably you’re asking people to run botnet code as well as to host documents. That’s the kind of issue that didn’t get
>much thought - or have any design impact - on the schemes that were developed during the Internet’s rainbows and unicorns phase.

Perhaps if I say Bittorrent another dozen times someone will notice?

It's a peer-to-peer network that delivers files piecewise, with the
sources all over the Internet.  Each node hosts what its owner wants
to host. and sends pieces of what it has to whoever wants it.

Network operators aren't thrilled, partly because it screws up the
upstream/downstream ratios on asymmetric cable systems, partly because
of what some of the users host, but it doesn't do anything bad to the
computers that use it.

R's,
John