[ih] Internet History Lives on the Internet?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Feb 24 14:21:03 PST 2019

In article <FB700EEA-6808-47BE-B2AE-C49DEDD0B2AA at strayalpha.com> you write:
>Those disproportionate financially benefit those who reap the revenues, IMO. The $1 tax on .orgs ...

The what?  That's not even approximately how ISOC or the IETF is
funded.

More to the point, this is hardly the first time that it has occurred
to anyone that it might be a good idea to try to have a long term
archive of historical Internet documents.

Rather than trying to reinvent Bittorrent, perhaps it would make more
sense to see what people have already done.  I happen to know that the
RFC Editor has made arrangments to have stable archives of the RFC
series at the Computer Museum in California and some university
library in northern Europe.

The Internet Archive is a reasonable possibility (if you wonder how
it's funded, they have this web site with an About Us button) as is
the Charles Babbage Institute at the U of Minnesota.  If this is
important to anyone here, how about contacting some of them, tell them
what you've got or could collect, and see if they're interested.

R's,
John