[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Feb 19 06:50:54 PST 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 9:06 AM Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:

> PP, which in turn came from MMDF.

Tony - are you sure its that order?  I was under the impression MMDF came
first and PP was the descendant, but I'm interested in being enlighted and
why you think that was order.

FWIW: We ran both at Locus in the late 80s/early 90s.   I know we replaced
MMDF with PP at one point.   IIRC the combined reasons were DNS was
changing and the MMDF code was not tracking the user mode API fast enough;
plus we needed an interface to X.500 for one of the customers and MMDF
could not do it and PP had the code in it already.

Like many sites, we distrusted sendmail for a number of reasons (security
being high on the list, but being a monolithic solution did not help
either).   Locus needed a mail system that was flexible and could talk to a
number of different custom mail transport agents since our customers were
the major computer companies and at that point, each had its own way of
doing things.  In those days,  we could not put our customers' code out on
the Internet due to intellectual property issues, as the legal folks were
concerned that they could lose their rights because of the store and
forward nature.  Hence, Locus set up private connections over leased lines
or in some cases microwave, to each.

Anyway, the email work was done for us in the Boston office by an ex-Pat
Scotsman; whose name I now am blanking (grrr - I can picture his face but
his name is just not coming -- which is bad we worked together at 3
different firms).

Clem

ᐧ