[ih] Internet History - Commercialization (was Re: When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Feb 18 15:25:27 PST 2019

In the 90s I was at Oracle, and our products were users of TCP, SPX,
OSI, and anything else you had at the time.  Getting something to work
in all of those environments was a real hassle.

Even just within TCP, it wasn't simple...

At one point, I recall that there were over 30 distinct implementations
of TCP for the PC.  After the MS release, it wasn't long before there
was just a single implementation.   I think a similar pattern happened
in other OSes; multiple implementations eventually melded into a single
implementation which came with the OS.

TCP was designed to provide great flexibility to the TCP implementer,
who could (and had to) choose a packetization strategy, buffer schemes,
retransmission timing, and other such parts of a particular implementation.

That led to a range of implementations, with differences beyond just
cost and usability.   One might be highly memory-efficient.  Another
might be computationally "light".  For the same transfer of a particular
dataset across a network, there could be vast differences in the number
and sizes of packets produced by different implementations.   We could
see this as we tested with all the different TCP implementations, even
on the same computer.

When "the" TCP became part of the OS, all of those choices
disappeared.   That simplification was obviously an asset.  But IMHO it
was also a liability.

/Jack