[ih] WiFi, DV, and transmission delay

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Mon Feb 18 09:48:57 PST 2019

In the late 1980s Van Jacobson gave a great talk about the interaction
between TCP windows and the ARPANET windows (controlled by RFNUM messages
as I recall).  What I don't remember is whether it was an IETF talk or and
End-to-End Task Force talk.  If it is an IETF talk, it is in the minutes.
Craig

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:41 AM Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:

> jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) writes:
>
> >     > From: Dave Taht
> >
> >     > These days I periodically work on the babeld DV routing protocol.
> Among
> >     > other things it now has an RTT based metric ... It's generally
> been my
> >     > hope, that with the addition of fair queuing ... that the early
> >     > experiences with DV being problematic were... early bufferbloat.
> >
> > I don't think so (and in any events IMPs had such a small amount of
> buffering
> > that they couldn't do extreme buffer-bloat if they wanted to!) Newer
> updates
> > being in the processing queue behind older updates (which is kind of the
> > key thing that's going on in buffer-bloat, IIRC) were no doubt an issue,
> but
> > the problems were more fundamental.
>
> The queue may not have been building at the imp but in the app. Didn't
> arpanet also have some forms of flow control? I see that the size of the
> listen queue was noted as a potential problem in one of the arpanet
> documents
> that I've now read this week, and timeouts in general seem to have been
> a hard problem to conceptualize and formalize.
>
> One big side-effect of the bufferbloat effort is we also switchd the
> linux world to head drop queuing rather than tail drop, with suitable
> algorithms (rfc8290 and 8289, sch_fq) to resist starvation. TCP RTOs due
> to tail drop vanished, stale information such as routing packets or voip
> rarely gets sent.
>
> A lot of folk including myself were very nervous about the stability of
> this, but so far so good.
>
> In terms of tackling many of the problems wifi has - slow bus
> arbitration, bursty transmits, I'm kind of fiercely proud of what
> we did in "ending the anomaly":
>
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.00064.pdf
>

> > The thing is that a DV routing architecture is fundamentally a
> distributed
> > computation - i.e. node A does a tiny bit of the work, hands its
> intermediate
> > data output to node B, repeat many times. This is fundamentally different
> > from LS and its descendants, where everyone gets the basic data at about
> the
> > same time, and then does all the computation _locally_, in parallel.
> >
> > Although both links and processors are _much_ faster than they used to
> be,
> > the speed of light (IOW point-point transmission delays) hasn't changed.
> > So in whatever equation one uses to describe the settling time (i.e. the
> > amount of time needed for everyone's tables to fully update and settle
> down),
> > a major term will not have improved.
>
> Later on in this thread was extrapolation of wired networks speed without
> enough terms to capture how weird wireless ones are in comparison.
>
> > Although the two different approaches are probably not _that_ far off,
> [...]

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and