[ih] Internet addressing history section

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sat Feb 16 22:34:05 PST 2019

On 2/16/19 10:56 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
> That sort of timeout isn’t as much the issue as the block coding that
> helps reduce the impact of burst errors. It’s the size of the block that
> often drives large delays in modems, even if they don’t “wait” to be
> filled up with data (I am not aware that they do or would - the blocks
> go out on schedule, filled or not).

> Both are coax - although they vary, they’re both in that range.

ACK

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_factor
>
> TP varies - see the Cat 3, 5, 6, and 7 values.

I now have a reason, other than speed, to use something better than Cat
5e in my house.  :-)

> Generally, yes. Open-ladder is the fastest for metal.

I'm quite familiar with Open Ladder line.  I've helped my dad build it
more times than I can count.

> The 10 of 10base<something> **is** the 10 Mbps . Higher rates means
> shorter bits; shorter bits means the *end* of the message arrives more
> quickly, not the front of the first bit.

ACK

> The shortest Ethernet message (including preamble and SOF) totals 54
> bytes, i.e., a transmission delay of 43.2 microseconds at 10 Mbps. The
> propagation delay, even in a 1500ft cable (the longest possible), is
> 1.875 microseconds (at 0.8c). In twisted pair the propagation delay is
> 2.5 microseconds. The difference would be only 0.625 microseconds - or
> about 1.4% of the transmission delay, not to mention other system delays.
>
> That would show up on a scope, but I doubt it would have been noticeable
> within an operating system, e.g., due to scheduler granularity, etc.

Fair enough.

There could have also been an unknown problem that was different between
my two tests.  I don't think I'm mis-remembering, but it's a possibility
as that was probably 20+ years ago.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die