[ih] Internet addressing history section

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sat Feb 16 17:51:08 PST 2019

On 2/16/19 5:49 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Although both links and processors are _much_ faster than they used to be,
> the speed of light (IOW point-point transmission delays) hasn't changed.

I'll agree that the propagation delay hasn't changed.  But the amount of
time it takes to send X number of bytes is significantly less today than
it was 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago.

I have no idea if the time to send X number of bytes has changed enough
to fundamentally alter equations or not.

But I do remember discussions about ping times across 10 BaseT LAN vs
100 BaseT or even 1000 BaseT.  People liked to say it's a small enough
amount of data that it shouldn't matter.  Yet it does.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die