[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Sat Feb 16 08:35:10 PST 2019

Hi Bob:

You are right about the implementations being in parallel for a while.  I'm
going to get the dates slightly wrong but Bill's code came out in 4.1c
(1982?) and BBN kept maintaining its implementation (Dennis Rockwell and
then Bob Walsh) until c. 1985.  Indeed, as I recall there was a debate c.
1985 at DARPA about whether to force Berkeley to use the BBN code (which
had been modified to use the sockets API, which everyone agreed was better
-- I had a small part in the port to sockets).

I believe that when the TCP/IP project transitioned to me (c. 1987?), I
stopped effort on the BBN TCP/IP.  I think we had to maintain it a bit as
we'd licensed it to a workstation vendor (Apollo????).  Karen Lam and David
Waitzman switched to the BSD TCP/IP and we did things like help Steve
Deering implement multicast and such.

Thanks!

Craig

--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and