[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Feb 16 06:22:42 PST 2019

The WWW made the Internet substantially more useful and easier to use.
TCP/IP was widespread by that time and inherited the benefits of the WWW.
At that point, it did not seem very necessary to deploy a competing
internetwork
protocol given widespread deployment and availability of TCP/IP. The OSI and
TCP/IP stacks were, in principle, comparable - that is what the NIST
decision
concluded. But that equivalence took the wind out of further efforts to
deploy
OSI.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 8:13 AM Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se>
wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2019 16:29 -0500, from vint at google.com (Vint Cerf):
> > 6. MOSAIC hits about 1993 followed by Netscape Communications and its
> IPO.
>
> I'm curious about this point of yours. Why do you say that this was an
> important deciding factor in the choice between OSI vs TCP/IP, or in
> the commercialization of TCP/IP over OSI?
>
> I'm not saying that the Web was unimportant -- it absolutely was, and
> is (just look at how many people think that the Internet _is_ the
> World Wide Web) -- but is there something about the protocols which
> makes it much easier to run HTTP over TCP/IP than over OSI? Or was it
> just the fact that by the time the Web came about, the world was
> somewhat firmly established in the TCP/IP camp and so it became a
> natural choice to focus on running HTTP over TCP/IP?
>
> I'll readily admit that my knowledge of the OSI stack is limited at
> best.
>
> --
> Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
>   “The most dangerous thought that you can have as a creative person
>               is to think you know what you’re doing.” (Bret Victor)
> _______

New postal address:
Google
1875 Explorer Street, 10th Floor