[ih] Internet addressing history section

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Feb 14 15:34:25 PST 2019

On 2/14/2019 3:11 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:
> This was after the company had been acquired by Novell. Excelan is also
> where NETBIOS over TCP (RFCs 1001-2) came from.

Not quite.

There were two or 3 companies that had done netbios over TCP.  Excelan
was one.  I was at Ungermann-Bass.  I forget who the third was.

The RFC standards came out of a multi-company effort.  (Ours was the
only that allwed Netbios to go long-haul rather than just on the local LAN.)

We had to ask Vint to mediate the discussions...

I think all of us also had been using derivatives of the Xerox
protocols, but each had adapted it so those wound up being
non-interoperable.

The Netbios experience was instructive.  When you only publish an API,
the plumbing people create to support it will be different.  This
shouldn't be surprising, but it's import is often missed.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking