[ih] Internet addressing history section

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Thu Feb 14 11:56:22 PST 2019

On 02/14/2019 12:48 PM, John Levine wrote:
> Yes.

I suspect that much of RFC 3330 (or it's successors) should be included,
safe for the changes made by the ID being discussed.

> It's intended for use in lab networks that aren't supposed to send
> traffic to the public Internet so pretty much by definition you can't
> tell who's using it.

ACK

> PS: Only telco guys call it an octothorpe.  For the rest of us it's a
> sharp sign or maybe a hash mark.

Hum.

I thought octothorpe was the proper name for it.  I also know it as the
pound sign.

According to Wikipedia (I hear my wife groaning now) the sharp sign (♯)
is actually a different shape than the octothorpe (#), but otherwise
quite similar.

I'd love to know the authoritative name for the pound sign / hash sign /
octothorpe / sharp sign.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die