[ih] When the words Internet was design to survive a nuclear war appeared for the first time?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Feb 14 09:30:36 PST 2019

Alex is essentially correct. Paul Baran's work WAS aimed at post-nuclear
survival but he never got to try his ideas out as they
were rejected as unimplementable or uninteresting by a circuit-switching
oriented Defense Communications Agency.

Larry Roberts was clear that the ARPANET was intended to support resource
sharing.

By the time Bob Kahn and I started working on Internet with its focus on
command/control, the issue of survivability
was back on the table.  The multi-network design contemplated multiple
networks operated by distinct entities
(in the DoD perspective it was multiple countries or aggregates like NATO)
and resilience was important. I went
so far as to commission a test in which we flew packet radios in Strategic
Air Command aircraft, artificially "broke"
the ARPANET up into fragments and re-integrated them through ground to air
packet radio connectivity. I was
particularly worried about the partitioning of a constituent network which
would cause great confusion for  the
routing algorithm (a source gateway might know know to which "half" of the
fragmented network a packet should
be sent. My hazy recollection is that Radia Perlman came up with a way to
solve that problem that involved
creating new autonomous systems out of each "piece" and re-enabling routing
algorithms.

vint

New postal address:
Google