[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 13 21:19:25 PST 2019

On 2/13/19 10:01 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> IPX/SPX bridging equipment was sold to businesses and enterprises. No
> ISP-like intermediaries existed because there was no security boundry
> enforcable, so it was not a good means to interconnect multiple
> enterprises.

I thought that Border Manager had the ability to filter IPX traffic.
I've not done much with it myself, so I'm not certain of that.

> However, individual frame relay connections for these were common and I
> guess dealing with the Bell monopoly in those days was somewhat similar
> to dealing with the cable monopoly today.

ACK

> I do not recall how well these bridges worked. They were better than
> nothing.

I thought they did classic MAC address learning.

> I'm trying to remember the date of my first novell smtp email gw...

GroupWise Internet Agent, a.k.a. GWIA.  It was the bane of our GroupWise
admin's existence for a while at an old job.

I think I may have first set one up in training in early 2000.  I have
since done it for @^*%s and giggles in VM in the last few years.

> Side note - when I first got ahold of my first pre-wifi cards in 1998,
> they were only usable as an IPX/SPX bridge. We got tcp/ip running on
> 'em in about the middle of that year.

I did something similar.  I think I was booting the box that was the
bridge off of a Fibre Channel SAN using HBAs that supposedly didn't
support boot from SAN.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> http://the-edge.blogspot.com/2010/10/who-invented-embedded-linux-based.html

*nod*

I think the person that patented the claw hammer did so after realizing
that someone else had not patented it, so s/he did.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die