[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Feb 13 18:12:42 PST 2019

Well, I know that I personally didn't think bigger addresses were
highest priority.  We used to put a list of "things we have to figure
out" on the whiteboard at every Internet/ICCB/IAB meeting.  Address size
was there, but there were several issues that had to be worked first,
since the outcome would likely impact any new address structure.  This
was early/mid 80s.

E.G., the "Expressway Routing" problem - namely how do you force traffic
going from one computer to another on the same network to take a detour
through gateways to use another intermediate net.  The practical case
was the Wideband Net which was high-bandwidth satellite-based and
attached to the ARPANET on both coasts.  But no traffic would naturally
go that way since it would involve two hops instead of one.

E.G., the "Multi-homed Host" problem - namely how do you deal with a
user computer attached to more than one network.  Does it have two IP
addresses?  Can it effectively use both network ports at the same time?
Can it be constrained to not act as a gateway?

E.G., the "Multipath" problem - namely if you have several possible
paths, how do you cause traffic to split and utilize both paths instead
of just the one that seems best at the time, in order to achieve higher
throughput and efficient line utilization.

E.G., the "TOS Routing" problem - namely how do you make traffic with
different TOS take different routes, such as a satellite one for traffic
that doesn't need low delay.  This is one case of a larger "Policy
Routing" issue - namely how you make traffic take routes constrained by
someone's policy (like only ARPA projects can use ARPANET).

There were more that I can't remember offhand.

So, there was lots of stuff still to be done, all of which seemed likely
to require experimentation.  Not a good time to change the basic address
structure....

I haven't been involved for a while, but I wonder if those outstanding
problems have been solved, perhaps in IPV6.

/Jack Haverty