[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Feb 13 15:34:07 PST 2019

Ross Callon <rwcallon at gmail.com> writes:

> There was some mumbling about 32 bits not being enough as early as
> 1980. In 1980 there was the beginning of the effort that became CLNP.
> The first related proposal came out of BBN and NBS (National Bureau of
> Standards, which is now called NIST) in 1980 and proposed that what
> became CLNP should be just IPv4 with 64 bit addresses and the source
> quench removed, and nothing else changed other than the version. At
> the time BBN had a contract with NBS. This proposal was taken into
> ANSI bound in bright orange cover paper, which caused it to be
> unofficially named the “pumpkin paper”.

Hah. Even though I worked on the ISO stuff stuff I cannot remember the
final address size.

> Around the same time I
> privately mentioned to Vint that instead of going from an 8 bit
> network number plus a 24 bit subnet address to class A,B,C addresses,
> instead they should go to 64 bits. He said this would be too
> disruptive. I didn’t find out until the ROAD meetings many years later
> that someone else, I think probably Bob Hinden, had told Vint the same
> thing at about the same time.
>
> Of course, at the time I had absolutely no idea how to get anyone to
> agree with this change, and I was unaware that ANSI and ISO would be
> unable to get anyone to follow their standards.
>
> I recall the ROAD group as occurring while I was still at BBN, which I
> left in 1988. As such the group must have met no later than 1988. NAT
> was discussed. I thought that Van Jacobsen brought the idea into the
> ROAD group although Paul Francis was also participating, and there was
> someone else whose name escapes me (possibly Vince Fuller) who was
> also proposing NAT, and of course this doesn’t say whose idea it was
> originally.

It sounds like the official formation of ROAD long followed an
unofficial group thinking about the same stuff.

ROAD itself is fascinating, in that it was a closed group (contrary to
ietf processes) and it achieved results.

> I think of CIDR as having two parts. One was just getting away from
> the class A, B, C restrictions. I don’t know where this came from. The
> other was assigning addresses topologically. I think that the
> topological part came later than the “no A,B,C” part.

CIDR (in these two parts) and NAT "saved the internet". Or I guess,
in some views, totally pushed back the urgency for ipv6.

The ROAD not taken.