[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Feb 13 14:01:30 PST 2019

    > From: Craig Partridge

    > NAT was a product of the ROAD (Routing and Addressing) working group

Err, I don't think so. AFAICR, the IETF stuck its head in the sand for a long
time over NAT. (Which definitely has its downsides...)

    > I recall, NAT was Van Jacobson's idea

He and Paul Francis/Tsuchiya independently invented it, I think? I first heard
about it from Van at the IAB 'addressing/routing retreat', or whatever that
meeting was called.

    > CIDR, I think, was Jeff Mogul's idea.

I don't think so; I'm pretty sure Jeff was out of the IETF world by then. Maybe
you're thinking of his earlier document on subnetting a la MIT?

CIDR came out of the ROAD meetings, but I don't know if it was any specific
person's? Also, like I said, it was in mechanism identical to Roki's
supernetting thing (in fact, the early RFC's on it call it 'supernetting', not
CIDR), although he had proposed it for a totally different reason/need (IIRC,
he wanted a host on an X.25 VAN to be able to send packet to a host on a
different VAN, without going through a router).

	  Noel