[ih] Host-Host Protocol documentation [Was: The history of "This" 0.0.0.0/8 network?]

Alex McKenzie aamsendonly396 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 07:01:26 PST 2019

Dave,

The community was a work in progress.  Yes, later specifications were
issued as RFCs, by the same people, but we were learning.  As I recall,
Steve Crocker, Jon Postel, and I decided that since the Host-Host Protocol
document was a specification, not a "request". it did not belong in the RFC
series.  Later we all changed our minds, and other specifications were
issued as RFCs.

Of course, as the protocols were being discussed and developed, the ideas
WERE put forward as RFCs because they truly were seeking comments.  Once
the Host-Host Protocol spec was published there were plenty more RFCs
discussing it and proposing changes.

Steve and I decided, 40 years later, that the Host-Host Protocol spec
really belonged in the RFC series, which is why RFC # 6529 was issued.

Cheers,
Alex