[ih] internet-future mailing list ?

Dave Taht via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Wed Dec 18 11:35:13 PST 2019

John Gilmore via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
writes:

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> Isn't this a large part of what SIGCOMM does for a living?
>> https://doi.org/10.1145/3341302.3342075 for example.

Sigcomm is too full of angels on a pin think.

> If an internet-futures discussion fell behind a paywall, would anyone notice?
>
> From my point of view, ACM and all its SIGs have rendered themselves
> irrelevant by refusing to allow ordinary public online access.  Fully

Well, in the past two years, nearly all the major papers have also
paywalled themselves also. Reading news.google.com is like the national
enquirer these days, only worse, because you get a teaser for something
you might be interested in, and then hit yet another site that wants
a credit card and your identity for your eyeballs.

Commercials interrupt everything. Sites - even with adblockers - are
unbearably slow.

Google no longer indexes most mailing lists. google would be a heck of a
lot more useful if it still did, or somehow, gmane returned.

Everything seems like a press release....

I really miss netnews. I worry that disquis is buring useful material.

I think we are at the end of the internet's golden era. We will look
back on bittorrent fondly as the last time the users cared enough to
participate in preserving historical material.

Only wikipedia remains somewhat interesting to me.

> half the reason the Internet protocols caught on was because anyone and
> everyone was encouraged to download them, read them, share them, and
> understand them.

If it wasn't for sci-hub, I'd have given up on network research long
ago. And even then, the quality is pitiful. Once mighty MIT is reduced
to phoning it in - unable to get a source license to any wireless
technology...

Pretty good rant on a recent MIT paper from dave reed:

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/bloat/2019-December/009453.html

but it's really not MIT's fault. They are locked out at the most basic
level - be it firmware or gates - from participating in what otherwise
could be an exciting next phase in wireless development.

About the only bright spot I see at the moment in terms of hardware, is
the burgeoning risc-v stuff.