[ih] Sally Floyd has died

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Tue Aug 27 01:40:12 PDT 2019

On 27 Aug 2019, at 2:47, Craig Partridge wrote:

> Just saw a post from Eddie Kohler that Sally Floyd has died.
>
> She packed a huge number of achievements into a relatively short career in networking (less than 20 years from PhD to retirement).  She developed RED for congestion control with Van Jacobson, identified the issues in Poisson modeling with Vern Paxson, developed TCP SACK, to name a few of her important contributions.  At one point (and perhaps still) she was one of the top 10 cited women in computing.  I think she won almost every award the communications field could give.
>
> She was also a great colleague.  I got to work somewhat closely with her on the End-to-End Task Force for many years.  She had a knack for presenting stunning insights quietly and articulately, which made the insights all the more stunning.
>
> Our world is a bit smaller.

And not a small bit!

I was in IAB together with Sally 2003-2005 and was immediately amazed by her calmness, competence and friendliness. I have not had much, if any, contact with her since as I also withdrawn pretty much from IETF part from higher layers in the value chain, but this notice that I first saw in Facebook did really shake me. Says a lot of how her person and personality.

   Patrik