[ih] Internet meeting - Catalina Island, California, circa 1980?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:02:48 PDT 2018

On 2018-09-25 07:40, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Jack Haverty
>
>     > But I disagree with Vint - that still looks like Dave Clark to me.
>
> Definitely Dave, I think.
>
>     > Who else might it be...?
>
> Looks a bit like Brian Carpenter, but he showed up much later.

A flattering comparison, but sadly I have never in my life been
out to Catalina. I was actually in California at one point in 1983,
and seem to remember staying in a Holiday Inn on Pico Bvd in order
to visit an OSI implementer in Santa Monica and then a day trip up
to ACC in Santa Barbara to discuss FDDI stuff. It was a couple of years
later that we at CERN began to abandon the OSI dream and start seriously
with TCP/IP.

It occurs to me that I probably met Noel for the first time on that
same trip. We were wondering whether the future lay with FDDI or ProNet-80,
and I definitely visited Proteon. Unfortunately I don't seem to have a
copy of my 1983 trip report.

    Brian