[ih] Internet meeting - Catalina Island, California, circa 1980?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Sep 24 09:43:06 PDT 2018

My electronic records are long gone.  However, paper apparently survives
longer than bits.   So more basement archeology.  I skimmed through my
old notebooks from 1977-1980 looking for "Catalina".  No joy.

I think Vint is at least partially right.  I'm now 99% sure that
Catalina meeting happened in January 1983.  I got several private
confirming that he was there, and he remembers the meeting as being
something like a "Network Management Workshop".  Brad Fidler reports
that the Wrigley mansion is still there and in good shape, and currently
a wonderful place to have lunch.

The "smoking gun" though is the physical slide that I scanned.  The
photoshop printed "Jan" on the slide itself, and others from the same
box/roll have "83" stamped on.

So, late 1972, early 1983 makes sense.  It also would explain why Vint's
not in the picture, having gone off to MCI.  My recollection is that
Barry Leiner wasn't heavily involved in the Internet project per se
until Vint's departure from ARPA, which would also explain why Barry is
in the picture.

So, the meeting was circa January 1983, and the "unknown" between Falk
and Postel is Cliff Weinstein.  (Sorry Cliff, I did remember you but
couldn't pull the name from long-term storage).

But I disagree with Vint -- that still looks like Dave Clark to me.  Who
else might it be...?   Still not sure who is kneeling either.  Was that
one of the ISI team..?

/Jack Haverty