[ih] 'Internet' vs 'internet'

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Fri Oct 19 08:11:23 PDT 2018

> On Oct 19, 2018, at 5:58 AM, Toerless Eckert <tte at cs.fau.de> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 09:41:38PM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Interesting and absolutely complex - but perhaps because it takes pains to explain all the varieties of ???how??? rather than focusing on a much simpler ???what???.
>>
>> IMO, Internet access is defined by two properties, each of which can be ???full???, ???partial???, or ???none???:
>>
>> FIRST CLASS - Internet protocol participant
>> 	these nodes can participate and Internet protocol network in any role (client, server, peer) for any service AND can reach the root DNS servers
>
> Agreed. This is i think what your initial "On the Internet" means,
> and thats what i thought was easy and good to "The Internet" / "The IPv6
> Internet"
>
>> SECOND CLASS - Internet information access
>> 	these nodes can access information provided by any node in set (A), but are not themselves in set (A)
>
> Right. And "Internet Access" might be the simple term to use here.
> Not sure about exact definition. "can exchange data" might be a
> better term because i fear "information" would be read by non-technical
> people more like "Facebook" or the like.
>
>> Most home Internet service is ???partial SECOND CLASS???, i.e., can???t run as a server at all (so not FIRST CLASS) and some ports blocked for SECOND CLASS.
>>
>> However, most hosted web servers are ???partial FIRST CLASS???, i.e., run as a server but not on all ports (most hosting services block certain ports).
>>
>> AFAICT, the only meaningful variants are:
>> 	full first class (which implies full second class too, trivially)
>> 	partial first class (which implies full second class because you can always contact a first class node on at least one port and get access to anything)
>> 	full second class (implies no first class)
>> 	partial second class (implies no first class)
>> 	no access at all
>
> Why introduce partial first class ? Any form of data access to
> the Internet that does not fully meet the definitions of
> "On the Internet" is simply "Internet Access”.

Largely to allow for the case where some ports are blocked and to avoid a debate on “which ports” and whether they’re important or not. See below regarding home gateways.

>> Further, note that full first-class nodes can help other nodes become any class except itself.
>
> Well, the interesting explanations for laymen are something like:

To me, FWIW, a layperson only needs to know:

- can you control your content, how it is served, and how it is logged 100%? (first class)
- can you get at Internet data managed by others, either reading or writing that data, but not under your control? (second class)

We can’t get down into the definition of a ‘host’ for laypeople.

> A users computer is called a "Host" in the Internet technology.
> A Computer/Host is called "on the Internet" if its connection to the
> Internet meets the following requirements ...
>
> A computer "On the Internet" can only extend the Internet
> to allow more computers to be "on the Internet" if it can
> become a "Router on the Internet”.

Strictly speaking, routers don’t need IP addresses themselves (unless they start also acting as hosts, e.g., to participate in protocols for in-band configuration, etc.)

> A home gateway for example
> can not do this when it just has IP because then it
> only gets one IP address and because to be "on the internet"
> every computer needs its own Internet IP address, the home
> gateway needs to give private IP addresses to computer behind
> it, granting them only more limited "access to the Internet”.

A home gateway doesn’t 'give away' addresses; it translates addresses and ports.

Arguably, if the public side of a home gateway has a real, public IP address, then NAT’d devices behind it CAN be ‘partial first class’, e.g., for some subset of ports assigned to each private-side host.

> With IPv6 on the other hand, the home gateway can become
> a router "On the (IPv6) Internet" and make computers behind
> it be Hosts "On the (IPv6) Internet”.

IPv6 alone doesn’t magically allow a home gateway to become a router; this still requires that your ISP not block the addresses of your “private side” hosts (which they can do, and I suspect will do unless you pay more money for “”commercial service”). Yes, the point of IPv6 is to allow that to happen, but ISPs can still interfere...

Joe