[ih] 'Internet' vs 'internet'

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:47:39 PDT 2018

Toerless,

Have a look at RFC4084. To me, that explains why this is a more tricky
question than you might think, and it might have wider implications for
consumer protection, monopolistic behaviours, and whatever interpretation
you put on the phrase "network neutrality".

Another interesting thing to think about is the question: How many
hosts are there on the Internet? Historically (30 years ago) that
was a meaningful question to which you could answer "about 56000".
Today??

In the room I'm sitting in there are currently 4 devices switched on
running TCP/IP. One of them has unique IPv4 and IPv6 addresses; three
others have NATted IPv4 and native IPv6 addresses. So if you count the
routed IPv4 Internet, there's 1 apparent host. If you count the routed
IPv6 Internet, there are 3 hosts and a router.

Regards
   Brian