[ih] 'Internet' vs 'internet'

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Thu Oct 4 09:39:10 PDT 2018

On 10/04/2018 08:33 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
> I would call that “accessing Internet content”, but definitely NOT
> being “on the Internet” (note: I appreciate this also applies to
> nearly all consumer access because of NATs).

I mostly agree.

Comments inline below.

> Being “on the Internet” IMO has minimum requirements; I presented
> these as candidate requirements at a meeting in 2004:
>
> Internet User “Bill of Rights"
>
> The Internet is an association of communicating parties. Consenting
> parties should be able to communicate in an unrestricted fashion, insofar
> as they do not impinge on the corresponding rights of other parties. The
> following is a list of specific rights to that end:
>
> 1. REAL IP: Users have the right to a real IP address, routable from
> anywhere on the Internet.

Re: SOHO NAT - I believe typical home users do have access to /a/ single
""unrestricted (more below) IP.  Choosing to put a NAT in place
themselves via the SOHO NATing router is their choice.  They could put a
single machine online using the provided IP and not have the
restrictions related to NAT.

Carrier Grade NAT is different because it is ISP imposed.  (Insofar as
the subscriber chooses a plan that is subject to CGN.)

> 2. REAL DNS (& REVERSE-DNS): Users have the right to a valid reverse
> DNS name for that IP address, and the forward lookup of that name that
> matches that address.

I have no objection to this.  But I've never heard about this being
something that needed to be on an Internet bill of rights.

> 3. RECEIVE ANY: Users have the right to receive any valid IP packet,
> using any valid transport protocol on any valid port (if applicable),
> up to the limits of their local resources and network connection.

I mostly agree with this.

> 4. SEND ANY: Users have the right to send any valid IP packet to any
> valid real IP address, using any transport protocol, on any valid port
> (if applicable), provided it uses an inconsequential amount of resources
> of the network and potential receiver until mutual consent is established.

I want to agree with this.  But I believe that there are some specific
types of traffic that the Internet community at large has decided that
should be blocked in some situations, particularly end user situations.

Specifically:

  · SMTP traffic originating from endpoints not passing through a
legitimate mail server.  (Common effort to block spam and viruses.)
  · NetBIOS traffic - ports 137, 138, 139, and 445

I frequently see restricting these nine destination ports as egress
filtering imposed by reputable ISPs.

I do think that ISP subscribers should have a way to get this filtering
removed, particularly for people / SOHOs running on premises mail
servers.  -  I'm okay with that being an upgrade from a residential
service plan to a business service plan.  (Assuming the cost of doing so
is not tantamount to extortion.)

> 5. ENFORCEMENT: Users have the right to know the ISP responsible for
> traffic from any valid IP address, sufficient to register a complaint
> regarding violations of any of these rules.
>
> ——
>
> Everything else is, at best, access to Internet *information* but
> undermines the ability to participate directly in Internet protocols
> themselves. That’s sort of like saying you can watch TV, but only from
> still photos taken across the street through a smudged window.

Using IP is different than using / accessing the Internet.  There are a
number of networks using IP that have zero Internet connectivity.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die