[ih] 'Internet' vs 'internet'

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Wed Oct 3 03:18:39 PDT 2018

I generally concur with the arguments made, but just to voice a contrarian view: maybe ‘Internet' has crowded out ‘internet' in its original meaning, along with ‘network’ changing its meaning over time.

One could argue that both ‘Internet' and ‘internet' now refer to the Internet. What used to be called an internet would now be referred to as a 'network’. What used to be called a network would now be referred to as a network segment, or some such. So we used to speak of an internet of networks, but now we would talk of a network of network segments (in both cases stitched together by switches, bridges and routers). Networks consisting of a single segment, i.e. networks that are not internets are probably few and far between these days.

It is not all that uncommon for words to change their meaning over time:
https://ideas.ted.com/20-words-that-once-meant-something-very-different/

Paul