[ih] 'Internet' vs 'internet'

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Oct 1 07:25:35 PDT 2018

    > From: Joe Touch <touch at strayalpha.com>

    > The AP and New York Times need educating on this issue too.

I know some people at the NYW, let me ask them how to proceed.

   > At least one key issue, IMO, is that both variants have distinct meaning.

This is a very significant point, one I hadn't clearly recognized. Let's see
if it helps.

BTW, reading up on this topic, apparently some places capitalize the thing,
but not its use in adjectival form. I don't believe this is correct. One
doesn't say 'white house hallway', it would (properly) be 'White House
hallway'. And 'Internet hosts' has a different meaning (again) from 'internet
hosts'.

	Noel