[ih] FYI - DARPA "Paving the Way to the Modern Internet"

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Mar 21 14:10:52 PDT 2018

There's an interesting summary of the history and pre-history of the
Internet on DARPA's 60th Anniversary website:

https://www.darpa.mil/about-us/timeline/modern-internet

There's a link on that page to "DARPA and the Internet Revolution" which
is a nice summary of the early timeline starting in 1963.

Licklider (aka "Lick") was my thesis adviser in 1970 and led the group I
was in at MIT project MAC trying his ideas about "Man Computer
Symbiosis" out on the then-new ARPANET through the  70s.  Later at BBN I
worked with Cerf and Kahn on lots of Internet projects through the 80s.
But this paper puts the early history all together, and I learned some
things I hadn't known before.

So I thought perhaps the internet-history crowd might be interested.

/Jack Haverty