[ih] fragmentation (Re: Could it have been different? [was Re: vm vs. memory])

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Mon Mar 12 09:05:29 PDT 2018

IMHO, the fundamental issue is that we lost the speed of experimentation
and agile improvement of network infrastructure before 1994, with
the introduction of specialized,accelerated hardware, vendor software
development processes and "professional" network operations.

I don't think we'll ever recover even though its technically not too
difficult to see whats needed: actual virtual networks that can be evolved
and innovated with. Down to the NPU and packets schedulers. If every
network device was a VM-hosting compute system you could even think of getting
there.

Maybe we're going to get some 5% of whats needed via network slicing.
Judgemenet on the percentages is out. But its not going to be high.

Applications kinda went der othre way, having the ability for a lot more
agile innovation and experimentation through VMs in the last 10 years.
To some extend, that is also coming to an end with containeriziation
because it removes the lower layers of innovation and increases the lock in of
innovative applications into a maze of linux and ecosystem vendor peculiarities.
Not to speak of serverless compute. But at least the gilded society itself
will still be able to innovate faster than network equipment vendors.

Cheers
Toerless