[ih] anybody know the history of the group at NCSA that developed Mosaic & HTTPd?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 15:56:24 PDT 2018

On 12/03/2018 09:37, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 07:17:16PM -0500,
>  Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote
>  a message of 25 lines which said:
>
>> Berners-Lee's basic stuff,
>
> It was certainly not basic, it was a real browser and, on some points,
> he had more features than Mosaic (it was also an authoring environment,
> not just a reading one).

The problem was that it only ran on a NeXt, which was a marvellous device
that failed in the market. But certainly, in the High Energy Physics world
it was of course the CERN server and client code that was installed and
used first. On the other hand, Tim immediately saw the advantage of Mosaic
at that time, when Unix and X-windows were growing like mushrooms. It was
Tim personally who showed me Mosaic (on my NCD connected to CERNVAX) and
within a day Jean-Michel Jouanigot had it running on our group server
(dxcoms.cern.ch for those with long memories).

    Brian