[ih] Fwd: Bob Braden has passed away

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Apr 18 13:38:23 PDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Terry Benzel <tbenzel at isi.edu>
Date: Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM
Subject: Bob Braden
To: Vint Cerf <vint at google.com>
Cc: Terry Benzel <tbenzel at isi.edu>

I am writing to let you know the sad news that Bob Braden died . As you
know he was in failing health. He got very sick with pneumonia and died
quickly.

At the moment I do not know anything about memorial service. I am in touch
with  his wife Jean and son David.

Terry Benzel
Director Networking and Cybersecurity Division
Information Sciences Institute
University of Southern California

This is truly terrible news. With Bob Braden's passing, the three giants of
the RFCs have left our midst: Jon Postel, then Joyce Reynolds and now Bob
Braden.

Bob was a legendary contributor to the early ARPANET Host-Host protocols
for the IBM 360 machines and to TCP/IP early in its development. Bob and
Joyce became indistinguishable stewards of the RFCs with Jon Postel
passing. I always found Bob's thoughtful opinions clarifying and
constructive. His Host Requirements series was a seminal contribution in my
opinion
(see RFC 1122 et seq).

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Braden

I will miss his self-deprecating and wry sense of humor and his occasional
outbursts of disdain for rank stupidity. Really, there was something
ultimately satisfying hearing Bob take apart some piece of particular
ineptness in our technical community. Ever willing to work on behalf of the
Internet community in which he was such a long time dweller, Bob earned my
highest esteem and appreciation. I will miss him greatly but his work is a
true monument to dedication and will long be remembered and admired.

vint cerf

--
New postal address:
Google