[ih] .UK vs .GB

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Tue Apr 17 17:20:56 PDT 2018

> Steve Kille?s X.400 software was called PP, if I recall correctly. The
> EAN software came from a team led by Gerald Neufeld at the University of
> British Columbia.

And the UBC X.400 code tied together "cdnnet" (spelling/punctuation long
forgotten), a collection of mostly academic sites in Canada that ran an
X.400 mail network over X.25 (and for which UBC contributed quite a bit of
code to BSD4.[23] as I remember).  X.25 was a big thing in Canada
throughout the 1980s and early-to-mid 1990s, in the form of
the Datapac network, run by the ILECs of the day.

There was a semi-serious conversation in the mid-latter 1980s about
whether the TLD for Canada might be '.cdn', since that was what the X.400
mail network used to flag its participant's addresses (ala .bitnet) in the
ARPA/Usenet world.

--lyndon