[ih] .UK vs .GB

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Sun Apr 15 07:58:22 PDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM, John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net> wrote:

> Yes, it was a committee as was SMTP.  But before you get to self-satisfied
> with how smart we all were and they weren’t.  It should be pointed out that
> much of the design of both X.400 and X.500 was driven by the former DARPA
> participants in the National Software Works project from SRI. I had many an
> argument with them over various aspects of it.

A historical nit (but isn't that what this list is about? :-)).  SMTP, as
best I could determine when I did research on the history of email was
*not* a committee product but rather something Jon Postel wrote in response
to criticism (as best I could determine, from Peter Kirstein) of MTP.

Whereas RFC 733/822 message and address formats were committee products
(and given we were discussion addresses, seems to better fit John's
comment).

Craig