[ih] .UK vs .GB

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Apr 15 07:20:49 PDT 2018

Far be it from me to be seen to clarify John's first hand knowledge of
RFC 1591, but it's worth pointing out that the decision to use
ISO-3166-1 was not first documented in RFC 1591, but already in RFC 920
(October 1984) as follows

> Countries
>
> The English two letter code (alpha-2) identifying a country according the the ISO Standard for "Codes for the Representation of Names of Countries" [5].
>
> As yet no country domains have been established.  As they are established information about the administrators and agents will be made public, and will be listed in subsequent editions of this memo."

Stephen Deerhake and I put together an (as yet unfinished) hyperlinked
timeline of the DNS quite recently. Even though there are some places
where the editing is still a little rough, I think there is some useful
stuff which is not easily accessible otherwise.

You can find it at http://timeline.as

It does need a little work, and we need to move it from using TikiWiki
(which seemed like a good idea at the time) to something faster, but
there are some interesting things there...