[ih] .UK vs .GB

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Apr 15 04:44:51 PDT 2018

Not long after Laurie Brown and I set up GG we were 'invited' to a
meeting in St Peter Port to talk with the IT folks from the Guernsey and
Jersey Governments, which I went to.

I remember that Peter Harris' (who later became the Island's Data
Protection Commissioner) business card had an X.400 address on it quite
prominently.

I'd previously worked at DEC for the Office Systems people (IOSG) who
were responsible for ALL-IN-1 and Message Router-X.400 Gateway (MRX) so
I knew about X.400 mail. Even so, I *never* understood how anyone could
possible want to use X.400 email -- I'd been emailing with people on the
Internet using simple VAXmail almost since forever, using the form
DECWRL::"user at domain.tld"  See RISKS-DIGEST, SF-LOVERS, etc, _passim_.
(https://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/7/93#subj6 for example).

As I remember things, Peter also haa a "normal looking" email address
@guernsey.gov.uk in addition to the 'official' X.400 address, which,
IIRC, he happily explained was connected to the upstream through some
dialup system (this was mid-1996), possbly

Not long after they decided to adopt gov.gg in parallel, and that
evenutally became the 'brand'. (I don't even think guernsey.gov.uk is
delegated any more).

N.