[ih] .UK vs .GB

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Apr 14 12:02:06 PDT 2018

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018, John Levine wrote:
> I wonder what else is lurking nearby.

I didn't find anything in FSI's historical dnsdb for owner
(left-hand-side) beyond those few. Plus I saw this TXT record which has
been there for at least 7 years:

gb.  TXT  "Domain names for United Kingdom go under .uk"
gb.  TXT  "For details see the web page on:  www.nic.uk"
gb.  TXT  "This domain is frozen and will be phased out"

I did see over 1500 uses of gb in rdata for PTR, NS, MX, etc. (but only
17 for last month). I guess they are just unmaintained PTR records,
temporary abuse (like non-GB labels with maybe some messages encoded in
the label and also in the rdata that is in GB, or mistakes. I don't see
any recent valid use.

    105 CNAME
     10 DNAME
   1380 MX