[ih] .UK vs .GB

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sat Apr 14 02:08:11 PDT 2018

This topic can disappear in a rathole of enormous proportions quite
quickly, but since as it refers directly to [ {GB|UK}, GG, JE, IM ]
structure of the DNS, you may enjoy some background, which given my own
direct role in this over the last 22 years, I have a fairly wide
overview of.

At the outset, to understand how we got to today's DNS structure in the
British Islands, one needs to be able to clearly identify and
distinguish between geo-political (Westfalian) terms such as USA,
(Dominion of) Canada, &c ) from geographical one (e.g "America", "North
America", etc).

It's also important to understand our shared history, and the history of
those terms. ("Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat
it - Santanya".)

There are Venn diagrams posted on regularly Quora which purport clarify
this. Unfortunately, only some of them accurately represent the
situation and nearly all add to the confusion and "fun".

That being said, here are some useful definitions:

If the following reams of fine defintions are too long for you, just
skip ahead to number 6 -  "The GB ISO Code".

1. GREAT BRITAIN
================

(a) "Great Britain" was the name of a country that no longer exists.

"The Kingdom of Great Britain" consisted of all the land which later
became incorporated into the United Kingdom, but did not include ANY
PART of the Island of Ireland.  It existed only between 1707 - 1801.

Self-evidently, that is the country, from which the original 13 colonies
won independence in 1776.  (This is probably why American news media, to
this very day, continue to use the archaic name (as the subsequent
constitutional cataclysms back in London have gone unnoticed).

(b) In addition, "Great Britain" was, and remains, a geographic terml it
simply refers to the largest of the Islands in the British Isles, and is
co-terminous with {England+Wales+Scotland}.

2. UNITED KINGDOM (v1)
======================

The first country by the name "UK" (for short) came into existence in
1801. It lasted until 1922. So today's UK (which is the legal
successor-state in international law), is less than 100 years old, and
was only confirmed on its current borders in 1948-49.

The full formal legal title of that former country was
"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland".

In 1920, Ireland was, for a very short time, administratively divided
into "Northern Ireland" and "Southern Ireland", both of which remained
integral parts of the UK but this did not last.

The whole of Ireland was then excised from the UK in 1921, forming a new
Dominion under the British Crown which was called Saorstát Éireann (the
Irish Free State).

As a Dominion, the Free State was in the same status as Canada and
Australia were at the time, the King remaining as Head of State).

3. UNITED KINGDOM (v2)
======================

Within a month after the separation of Ireland from the UK, six Irish
counties seceded from the Free State and rejoined the UK (7th December
1921) by an address to the King.

This let to the formation of today's nation-state, the full formal legal
title of which country is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland"

4. BRITISH ISLES
================

This is in informal, purely geographic term, which includes England,
Wales, Scotland, and  (all of) Ireland as well as Alderney, Guernsey,
Jersey, Sark and the Isle of Man.  (It's not often used in Ireland where
the term "these Islands" replaces it.)

5. GUERNSEY, ETC
================

There are five smaller, independent, self-governing jurisdictions in the
British Isles that are not part of either the United Kingdom or the
Republic of Ireland: Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey, Sark and the Isle of
Man. Their legal and constitutional independence predates the existence
of the UK or GB by many centuries (since 1204 in the case of the four
Channel Islands, 1392 for the Isle of Man).

6. ISO code GB: 1970s-2006
=============================

WHen the ISO-3166-1 standard came into being in the 1970s, the UK was
engaged in the early stages of a violent civil conflict in Ireland which
was to last 30 ears and claim nearly 4000 lives, and which, at times
extended to not only Northern Ireland and the Republic, but also parts
of mainland Great Britain, Gibraltar and even to Germany and the
Netherlands.

Also in this time frame, The Constitution of the Republic of Ireland at
this time maintained an irredentist claim to Northern Ireland.

Consequently, matters of nomenclature were extremely sensitive.

There may still be members of the ISO Committee who can provide
first-hand information, and there may be internal British Government
papers that can be disclosed under the 30 year rule, but it's not hard
to see that the adoption of the arguably more accurate "UK" in the ISO
standard would not have gone down too well with those parts of the
community in Northern Ireland who identify as Irish-only.

The two-letter code 'GB' was chosen instead.

This must have seemed sensible, since GB, as has been noted, has been
the international road traffic oval for the UK forever). And, unlike
places like Alderney (GBA), Guernsey (GBG), Isle of Man (GBM) and
Gibraltar (GBZ), the main GB oval had been used in Northern Ireland from
the time when all of Ireland used (GB).

So the name was a better choice by ISO.

But the definition adopted by the Committee of the two letter code "GB"
in the ISO standard was somewhat strange:

It was {the United Kingdom* + the Channel Islands + Isle of Man}.
(United Kingdom = Great Britain and N. Ireland)

Now, this was not a collection that often needed to be seen together as
a single entity (arguably eight, post-Welsh devolution) different legal
systems in that list, for a start).  For the purposes of legislation and
statutory construction, however, the British Government had previously
created (in the Interpretation Act 1948), a a not-well-known legal
term-of-art for this exact set of jurisdictions: "the British Islands"
(and which should not be confused with the purely geographic term
"British Isles" - see (4), above.)

Unfortunately, in attempting to avoid problems in Ireland, this
definition was later to produce unexpected consequences elsewhere, in
the Internet and e-commerce.

7. The view from the smaller islands.

The choice of the two letter code "GB" in itself is relatively
uncontroversial from the perspective of the Islands,

Becuase of the geographic closeness to the UK, the Channel Islands and
the Isle of Man have always been treated differently to the UK's other
possessions, and almost treated as part of the UK. This has been, to
Islander, both convenient and irritating, probably in equal measure.

The Islands do not have their own international representation and, like
the Free State, and Canada in the 1930s, are represented by the UK in
matters for foreign affairs and defence.

But the Islands are NOT part of the UK and never have been.

So since the term GB it does not appear to import a gepolitical meanng
(as UK does), it does not, in itself, appear to cause a problem.

But it was later to cause a serious problem, with the advent of
e-commerce, and the use of drop-down country lists on web pages, causing
20% VAT to be levied on most e-commerce purchases.

8. 1996

In the Summer of 1996 I engaged in correspondence with Jon Postel
regarding the possibility TLDs for the Islands, having been referred to
by what we would now call the ccTLD manager for .GB. (.GB was still
connected to UCL/JANET, whilst .UK was being managed by a loosely
defined set of ISPs and Academics called 'The Naming Committee' -- this
almost immediately before Nominet UK was founded).

I still have the emails.

The reason for wanting TLDs was simple. The Islands are not part of the
UK, so .UK was not eally appropriate (though some people did, and a few
still do) use it, though oddly, I'd not started out by asking for TLDs,
but had tried to see if we could have a sub-domain registry (remember
when that seemed a thing?) such as .CI.GB.

IANA/Postel's view was he was tied by the ISO list, but accepted the
argument that the Islands qualified in every other way (the CIA World
Factbook was a key persuader here).

He was under a lot of pressure then from folks wanting all sorts of new
TLDs, and did not want to open the floodgates. He said something like "I
need a rule".

To cut a very long story short, he agreed to adopt the ISO list as used
by the UPU, which since the Islands had their own international postal
systems had requested ISO to reserve an additional four codes to define
postal administrations.

Hence, GG, JE, IM and AC were added to the root at the end of August 1996.

9. ISO CODE "GB": 2006

Because, in particular, of the taxation problem, and problems of
universal acceptance, GG, JE and IM were retrospectively added to the
ISO standard in 2006.

And at the same time the old definition of GB was retired.

So ISO code GB means "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland".

But only since 2006.