[ih] Yasha Levine's Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet -- Some Questions

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Apr 13 18:00:28 PDT 2018

Sounds like bullshit to me.

I was at BBN at the time that the Defense Data Network (DDN) was split
from the ARPANET (my contribution was the architecture for network
management of the DDN).  Let me assure you that the powers that be were
largely against using the ARPANET for, you know, military applications.

As Vint already pointed out, the ARPANET was built to support resource
sharing in the research community (universities & military labs doing
ARPA-supported work).  It turns out that various military users (at the
military research sites on the ARPANET) kept using ARPANET email because
it just worked a lot better than the message-switching C2 networks then
in use (notably AUTODIN).

A little background & history:

- AUTODIN:  Message switching network supporting C2 traffic. (Think Telex.)

- ARPANET:  First turned on in late 1969, transitioned from ARPA to DCA
(Defense Communications Agency) around 1975, because it was now
considered an operational network, not a research project (in a sense,
it never was a research project - it was built to support research
projects).

- Early 1980s, AUTODIN was not doing to well, plans started for AUTODIN
II replacement.  Ultimately, the program was cancelled.

- Somewhere along the way, the name "Defense Data Network" was coined,
and there was a competitive "shootout" between the older AUTODIN
technology, and the newer ARPANET technology.  ARPANET won.

- The ARPANET was split into two networks - ARPANET (for research) and
MILNET for unclassified military use.  Ultimately they were separated
into to sets of nodes, connected by routers (then called gateways).
Three more classified networks were built in parallel to MILNET.

- A lot of work spun off into tactical packet networks of various sorts.

- Meanwhile, the Internet started growing around the ARPANET (campus
networks, CSnet, the supercomputer center networks, and then the
NSFnet).  Ultimately, the ARPANET backbone was shut down (and nobody
noticed, because the packets just kept flowing).  The MILNET remained a
while longer, and ultimately was supplanted by a router based backbone.

It's been a while - the names and dates are a bit fuzzy (but relatively
easy to find with some googling - and a lot of the key players are still
around, and on this list).

But the basic message is that, other than some early talk about the
potential survivability of packet networks, it was all about building
infrastructure for research.  This "secret history" stuff is bullshit.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra