Re: [ih] Dude who claimed he invented email is told by judge: It's safe to say you didn't invent email • The Register

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Sep 11 20:32:58 PDT 2017

Ayyadurai should sue Harder for allowing him to think he had even a hint of a case. Even if the facts are as he alleged (which they aren’t), he still loses because the 1st Amendment protects trolling (“hyperbole”).

The most interesting part of the opinion to me was the question of jurisdiction because that applies in all Internet cases. It’s unfortunate that the judge had to go with Mass law instead of Cali law, because Mass law is pretty bad in these cases. Strangely, it protects lobbying but not free speech.

It’s also really cool to see Harder lose because he was the scumbag lawyer in the Gawker case. Dude’s not exactly a graceful loser.

RB