[ih] fragmentation (Re: Could it have been different? [was Re: vm vs. memory])

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Oct 26 17:28:06 PDT 2017

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 27/10/2017 11:36, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> i was pushing for a simple expansion of the IP header so that we could
>> use source routing on all flows, to connect network 10 at each end,
>> through a series of tubes, really, that had unique IP addresses, so that
>> the path would become the identity. the dns portion of this design
>> looked a lot like what was later called 8+8. i was shouted down, as was
>> mike o'dell, so i harken to your suspicion that anything simple would've
>> been rejected.
>
> Did you take it as far as a BOF?

no. at that time i hadn't attended any IETF meetings and i didn't know
anybody who did, except my colleagues at DECWRL.

> https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/draft-carpenter-aeiou-00.txt
> went to a BOF but was politely stomped on (IETF 29, Seattle).

your design was better considered than mine, and in my opinion would
have worked sooner and better than we're seeing from IPv6. you should
not have patterned it as a stopgap, that's probably what doomed it.

--
P Vixie