[ih] Internet history - code and people (was Re: BBN C-series computers)

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 26 14:35:04 PDT 2017

> On VAX/VMS we had to use the Wollongong third-party product for a long time.
> That was allegedly based on BSD code in some way, I don't recall the details.

I should have the fine-grained details of the answer to that, but I am
embarrassed to admit I don't, though part of me thinks that's more from
poor memory than from never having known.

Here's what I /think/ the answer is:

   Yes, the code was a BSD base, probably 4.1, but really I don't recall.

   Wollongong had a virtualization layer that ran on top of VMS and
emulated a BSD interface that the TCP code ran on.  I'll let the reader
take a wild guess what non-US university they got this code base from...

At the time I left, there was a new releaswe of VMS coming that killed
this emulation environment.  They did the revisions, to make it work but
I don't know the details of how.

d/

--
Dave Crocker