[ih] vm vs. memory

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 12:42:43 PDT 2017

On 25/10/2017 01:12, Paul Vixie wrote:

> Joe Touch wrote:
>> IMO, they’re no more a stop-gap to networking than VM is to memory.
>>
>> But we’re digressing from the original thread...
>
> that's hard to say, but i've forked the thread anyway.
>
> vm is an example of something that started as a workaround but

I disagree with that evaluation. It started in practice with the
famous "one-level storage system" paper from Manchester**, with the
specific goal of making a small high-speed memory look like a much
larger one. I don't think it was viewed as a work-around, but rather
as a brilliant engineering solution to the high cost of high-speed
memory, vastly easier to use than explicit overlays.

**One-Level Storage System, T. Kilburn, D. B. G. Edwards, M. J. Lanigan, F. H. Sumner, IRE Trans. Electronic Computers EC11(2), April 1962, 223-235.

Full disclosure: I am biased. Frank Sumner was my M.Sc. supervisor.

   Brian