[ih] vm vs. memory

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Tue Oct 24 11:09:15 PDT 2017

Yes, these are the classical arguments.

IMHO, arguments 1. and 2. have mostly failed, especially
in large enterprises. They only provided some hard shell to the
outside, but mayority of attacks can easily come from the inside.
And protection to the outside has evolved long ago from trying
to (unnecessarily) hiding your addressing structure over
to app-level - keep the good bits in, and the bad bits out.

Argument 3 (i think you mean access providers) is more interesting.

I would love to hear from folks more involved in current deployments
what the BCP is for organizations using provider dependent
addresses to be able to quickly switch providers - without NAT.
I guess you would effectively build all org internal addressing & naming
on ULA, and use the provider addresses only for internal<->external
communications, but if you have an actual L3 network in the org, then
there is probably still a lot of renumbering necessary for which
there are no well defined network wide autoamted solutions. Although
i think there will be a new WG, forgot name to start tackling this.

If it was me, would have just evolved and improved on rfc1928.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---