[ih] Origin of the loopback interface

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Mon Oct 23 21:33:39 PDT 2017

On Oct 23, 2017, at 3:00 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte at cs.fau.de> wrote:

>> i saw DEC AutoNet-II work at the Systems Research Center in 1990 or
>> so and it was a thing of terrible power and beauty. i want a network
>> that works like that. but, outside of the lab, and outside of
>> hollywood, i aver that it cannot be done with multiple vendors, and
>> should not be tried. forget about speed -- state is what kills.
>
> Locator Identifier Separation mechanisms is of course one long understood mechanism
> to layer the user created addressing so that you can keep an unmodified
> underlay, but IMHo thats just a stopgap (which in Internet terms means
> few decades ;-).

LISP is one example of a broad class of encapsulation-based systems that emulate either subsets or switching devices, e.g., including TRILL, 802.1Q-2014, etc., a class I’ve been referring to as recursive routers and is fundamental to network virtualization.

IMO, they’re no more a stop-gap to networking than VM is to memory.

But we’re digressing from the original thread...

Joe